Debt management program is all about handling your debts and stopping them from arising further. There are numerous debt management service providers in the market. These providers have tie ups with large number of lenders. They try to negotiate with your lenders to reduce the size of installments at low rates. In addition to this, following are the services which you may get under a debt management program:
- Bankruptcy counseling
- Education about debt handling
- Credit counseling
- Preparing your budget plan while discussing it with you
- Online or telephone counseling is available
- Analysis of your credit report
A major tool to reduce the number of debts under a debt management program is debt consolidation which is done through debt consolidation loans. In simple words, these are loans for paying loans. The rate of interest on these loans are much low as compared to total interest on your existing debts. Other than this you can also take steps from your side to avoid debt such as lesser use of credit cards, use a debit card instead, make cash purchases as much as possible.
A debt management program has following reasons which one should look for while applying:
- Instead of paying for several debts you have to make a single monthly payment.
- These agencies provide an automatic deposit services under which they automatically deduct the payment amount from your checking account.
- Professionals are there to help you 24 hours customer support.
- Elimination of threatening calls from creditors.
- As the debt payments are made on time, it enhances your credit score.